Dainty little bites, every so elegant for afternoon tea. Or their larger cousins are quite enough with a cuppa!
Oh – and it’s quick, and easy. I mean REALLY quick and AMAZINGLY easy.
Makes 12 large or 48 mini cupcakes.
French Yoghurt Cupcakes
225g sugar (1 cup) (granulated or caster is up to you)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
175g (1 cup) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or other flavourless oil)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, vanilla and yoghurt and mix well until a pale yellow. (The sugar doesn’t have to have all dissolved, so don’t despair.
2. Stir in the flour and baking powder and mix well.
3. Stir in the oil. No need to over beat – just fold away until it’s all in.
4. Fill cupcake cases evenly (about 2/3rds full – but don’t obsess – there are so many slightly differently sized cupcake cases out there…)
5. Bake at 180°C for 20-22 minutes (12-14 for mini cupcakes).
6. Cool on a wire rack.
Set Honey Buttercream
200g soft butter
2 tbs set honey (you can use runny honey but it’s not quite the same)
400g icing sugar
1. Beat the butter and honey until pale and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar slowly until all incorporated and it’s the consistency of – oh, I don’t know – soft cream cheese? Peanut Butter? Something like that, anyhow.
3. Pipe, spoon or spread onto cooled cupcakes.